So I thought I'd take this opportunity to show you the before pictures of the aforementioned little Oak Cupboard. Not unsurprisingly, as with many of the pieces we own it came from the Cumberland Auction House before it closed down.. :o( .
Originally it had a freestanding wall mirror with it, but that got broken and thrown out.
The handles are horrid [there's a close up below] and will be changed.. and there's a small piece of the bottom plinth broken.
You can't see where it's missing from, at this angle.. but the piece is sitting on top of the cupboard, next to the pile of books. I haven't decided, but I think I'll fix it and then paint it, rather than paint it and then fix it..
Since these shots were taken it's been given it a light sanding all over.
I used the top drawer to test the paint samples, and to try a couple of knob and handle options.. much simpler, in either white ceramic, or brushed nickel I think.
I know the green is a bold choice.. but it didn't cost us very much, about $70 including the mirror... and if it's a disaster I will of course re-paint it white.!!
Cute though isn't it. ?
Choosing the colour has been by far the most arduous part of the entire process..
As you can see I had to sift through a lot of samples and I'm still not sure I have the right colour.. only time will tell.
First I tried the Tropical Lime which is actually a Dulux colour, but since I had an old matchpot from home that I'd never opened I thought I'd give it a go. It was surprisingly pale though and not nearly saturated enough.
Next I was certain !! that the sample you can see in the top right hand corner at the end of the strip was perfect. I even liked the name of it.. Fresh Cut Grass... but it's way too yellow...
So in the end I went to Home Depot and had a match pot custom tinted to match a colour I found in a magazine.
I'm planning to prime this piece this week and alternate it with the painting etc in the understairs cupboard.. which is coming along well.
I'll keep you posted.