Sunday, October 31, 2010

Oak Cupboard Makeover.. before.

A while back in my post about paint.. [here]  I made reference to a little cupboard that I want to paint in the same sort of green you can see here on this wonderful Chinese cabinet.


So I thought I'd take this opportunity to show you the before pictures of the aforementioned little Oak Cupboard. Not unsurprisingly, as with many of the pieces we own it came from the Cumberland Auction House before it closed down.. :o( .
Originally it had a freestanding wall mirror with it, but that got broken and thrown out. 



It's very narrow which makes it really useful
since it can go in any number of tight spots.
Having sat at the top of the stairs for months, we moved it into what I call the 'Lilac Room' to make room for something else, and really liked it in there.
Extra storage is always useful, but the colour is all wrong, hence the paint job.
                        












The handles are horrid [there's a close up below] and will be changed.. and there's a small piece of the bottom plinth broken.
You can't see where it's missing from, at this angle.. but the piece is sitting on top of the cupboard, next to the pile of books. I haven't decided, but I think I'll fix it and then paint it, rather than paint it and then fix it..


Since these shots were taken it's been given it a light sanding all over.
I used the top drawer to test the paint samples, and to try a couple of knob and handle options.. much simpler, in either white ceramic, or brushed nickel I think.
I know the green is a bold choice.. but it didn't cost us very much, about $70 including the mirror... and if it's a disaster I will of course re-paint it white.!!
Cute though isn't it. ?



Choosing the colour has been by far the most arduous part of the entire process..

As you can see I had to sift through a lot of samples and I'm still not sure I have the right colour.. only time will tell.
First I tried the Tropical Lime which is actually a Dulux colour, but since I had an old matchpot from home that I'd never opened I thought I'd give it a go. It was surprisingly pale though and not nearly saturated enough.
Next I was certain !! that the sample you can see in the top right hand corner at the end of the strip was perfect. I even liked the name of it.. Fresh Cut Grass... but it's way too yellow...
So in the end I went to Home Depot and had a match pot custom tinted to match a colour I found in a magazine.

I'm planning to prime this piece this week and alternate it with the painting etc in the understairs cupboard.. which is coming along well.

I'll keep you posted.

Jo xx

9 comments:

  1. Interesting! Can't wait to see how it turns out! Love that you're so bold with colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well actually I've always been a total colour wimp. All my life my favourite colour has been red.. but apart from a spell in the 80's which you can see in that post about my first flat, I have never owned a single red thing.
    But now.. fearful that I'm a closet beigaholic I'm trying to be bolder in some small ways :o).
    I'll probably hate it and repaint it white.. but I'll show you all first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the total opposite. I can't help buying things in bright colours and patterns, so much so that I periodically look around and realise it's way too much colour and I have to FORCE myself to add some neutrals.

    Buying a beige couch was a big step forward for me... But I still think every room could use some red ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so understand why you want to give it a paint job, my home when I grew up were filled with that kind of furniture and the color really gets to me nowadays... The cupboard itself is darling and it's gonna look lovely once you're done! Looking forward to the process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful little cupboard! Can`t wait to see the end result!

    BTW Bossy cow??? (;D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well.. it's not an occupation exactly, but it sums me up fairly accurately. Might as well be honest eh ?!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really interested in the outcome. Have a few furniture painting projects on my horizon and a little positive reinforcement is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monica.. I will see what I can do, but I'm not promising the reinforcement will be entirely positive. ;o)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know I'm not talking to myself..